Sunday, May 1, 2011

My first shot at Pixel Art

It's been a while since I've done a post on here and thought this would be the perfect opportunity. Being a fan of classic video games I've always been intrigued by the art and design of the the old sprites that make the games so memorable. Pixel Art of all forms has been growing in popularity and I've wanted to take a stab at it for some time. 
 I am not a painter by any means but thought I'd have fun with what I could pull off. Love or hate it, E.T. for the 2600 has one of the most memorable sprites of all time. This is an awesome rendition of E.T. in 4-bit mode. For this I just used a posterboard hand cut stencil to get E.T.'s shape onto canvas. 
This one was my first and came out decent. Something I can still hang on the wall and be proud of. The edges are a bit blurred but that's okay. At least I had fun and didn't destroy my first canvas.
Probably my favorite of the bunch. A mix between Tron Deadly Discs for both Atari 2600 and Intellivision. It's a bit rough but all sprites were hand drawn, cut, and stenciled by me. I used masking tape for this one to get the smaller details. 
Here's a nice perspective shot. They do look perfect if you blur your eyes a bit.
Overall I'm proud of myself for making somewhat recognizable character paintings on my first attempt. I want to move up to multi-color 8-bit sprites but I'm having too much fun with Atari 2600 characters for the time being. It's really easy to approach and I feel that anyone can do it.

1 comment:

  1. Great job. Just a history correction though - the Atari 2600 is an 8-bit system, not 4-bit. There were no 4-bit home consoles.

    ReplyDelete